Welcome!

“Reality can be beaten with enough imagination.” Mark Twain

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Overwhelmed

I made a list of what I need to do as a writer. I'm like a small business owner. Back in the day, I had a very tiny sewing business I ran out of our dining room. I realized it's very easy to become so busy with the business end that I didn't have much time to do what I was in business to do: sew things for people.
Writing is the same way. Granted, I waste a bunch of time. Sometimes. I haven't really been doing much writing the past few weeks, but I feel like I have been working. Here are some things an indie-author has to do, which can be especially challenging in the beginning.



1. Network.
a) Blogs. This involves writing a blog like this, reading other writer's and general blogs and leaving thoughtful, encouraging comments.
b) Twitter--finding and following new people and people who follow me and composing intelligent, humorous tweets that are inconspicuously self-promoting. And retweeting and replying. And tweeting articles and such I think people might find interesting.
c) Facebook. First, there is personal Facebook I use for fun and to keep in touch with friends and family. Then there are a few writing groups I belong to where we help each other with answers, info and encouragement. And my author page--maintaining, sounding interesting and figuring out how to get people to notice and like it.
d) Goodreads. I have yet to use this to anywhere close to it's potential.
e) Pinterest? Haven't done that yet.
What's really great about this is I've met lots of other authors--indie and otherwise and we love to help each other out. But--always a but--do I know how to help anyone? How much should I do? Because that takes time away from what only I can do for me.
2. Publishing
a) learning how to format for various publishing platforms. E-books and paper and the differences in e-books formats.
b) recently, I went through my manuscript and caught typos and took down the versions I had online ad republished with the improved ones. That was just the e-book. The paper version is waiting for the same thing.
c) I also spent a few days seeing if I could make Kindle behave by learning some HTML-with very limited success.
d) cover design
e) interior design
3. Marketing
a) social networking--see above, minus the personal interests
b) media kit--bio, photo, book blurbs, interview...all from scratch.
c) researching outlets, options, resources, etc.
d) book launch--how do I throw a party for me and my book?
e) Speaking-preparing and presenting programs to inform, inspire and entertain people--then setting them up and actually doing them.
f) website-one that doesn't look like a bad one from week 1 of the internet.
4. Writing
a) research. One example is I need to talk to real police about some procedures for one of my works-in-progress (WIP).
b) improving my craft, honing my skills
c) pushing through "I don't feel like it" and dry, uncreative spells.
d) writing
e) rewriting
f) revising
g) editing
h) recruiting helpers-readers, editors, reviewers
i) critique group


5. Reading.
a) reading the genre I write
b) reading great books in other genres
c) reading about writing
6) Business
a) tracking sales (hopefully)
b) paperwork, records, etc.
c) tax laws for the self-employed writer (gah!)
E.L. James-writing's newest gazillionaire



 I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining. I love that I can do this, and most of these tasks are enjoyable for me--except the business aspect. But it's a lot, especially since most of it is new.
I could use a publicist and a personal assistant, a publisher and a graphic designer. And a housekeeper and cook.

Well, one day when I'm on the NYT Bestsellers List. 
One day. Until then, back to my bio.

What do you find overwhelming about your profession?

2 comments:

  1. You may take some solace in that, to me, you are inspiring. Many people do not realize writing is more than a hobby to those of us who want to make it a career. They don't realize just how much goes into writing, attempting to publish a novel, and then sustaining a career as an author; in fact it's something we writers do not discover until we've decided to make a go of it. Though you may feel overwhelmed, you are definitely on top of things; which is more than I can say for myself. My writing has been dormant since completing NaNaWriMo; overwhelmed with the editing process & the ever-present questions of: "is this good or worthy?" "should I bother?". But when I read your blog, it is calming & reassuring. It reminds me to take the process one step at a time, as well as revealing which steps to take, and to stick with it, because writing is what I love & that it's worth it. Thanks for the great blog topics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thank you so much for your comment! It makes it all worth while to know even one person is inspired and encouraged here. If you love writing, like I do, it is totally worth the time and effort. Don't let doubt and fear keep you from growing in what you love. Keep writing, R. I hope to hear from you again!

      Delete

Leave a comment! It'll make my day. Unless you're rude. That will ruin your day.